Zamfara, Taraba, Kebbi have 28, 95, 50 candidates registered for 2018 National Common Entrance

Zamfara, Taraba, Kebbi have 28, 95, 50 candidates registered for 2018 National Common Entrance

Chris Steven, Abuja

As candidates prepare for the 2018 National Common Entrance Examination into the 104 Federal Government colleges across the country, only 28 candidates registered for the examination in Zamfara State.

Two other Northern states, Taraba and Kebbi also had low enrollment- while Taraba had 95 candidates, Kebbi had 50.

Adamu Adamu, Minister of Education, who expressed government’s worry over this low enrolment of candidates, said that a directive had been given to leave the portal open for registration until April 13.

He stated this in a statement issued by Priscillia Ihuoma, Director of Press at the Ministry of Education.

Adamu pleaded with state governments, heads of schools and interest groups to persuade school-age children in the areas with low registration to register for the examination.

He said the report of a stakeholders’ meeting held recently indicated that Taraba, Kebbi and Zamfara states had the lowest number of candidates who registered for the entrance examination.

The release read in part, “Ahead of the 2018 National Common Entrance Examination for admission of candidates into the 104 Federal Government colleges on Saturday, April 14, the minister has expressed worry over low registration for the examination so far.

“According to him, the report of a meeting of major stakeholders in the education sector said candidates registered in 2018 stood at 71,294 as against 80,421 that wrote the examination in 2017.

“The report further shows three states with the highest number of pupils registered so far are: Lagos with 24,465 candidates, the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, with 7,699 and Rivers State with 4,810 candidates respectively. On the other hand, three states with extreme low registration are: Zamfara with only 28 candidates, Kebbi, 50 and Taraba, 95 candidates respectively.”

The minister said the examination would go on as planned and urged state governments, parents, heads of schools and relevant interest groups in areas to take steps to remedy the situation.