UK Envoy seeks action over killing of Shiites in Zaria

UK Envoy seeks action over killing of Shiites in Zaria

Chris Steven, Abuja

Paul Arkwright,  United Kingdom High Commissioner to Nigeria, has called on relevant government authorities to act and ensure justice over the killing of 350 Nigerians in Zaria, Kaduna State,  two years ago.

Members of the Ibrahim El-Zakzaky led Shiite Islamic sect had clashed with the troops of the Nigerian army leading to the death of the about 350 members of the group.


In a tweet on Thursday morning on his twitter handle, @PaulTArkwright, the UK envoy said there is an urgent need to ensure that those who are culpable in the Zaria massacre are brought to justice.

“It is two years since the #Zaria incident when some 350 Nigerians were killed by the military. Since then there have been several investigations, reports and recommendations.


“But a number of  recommendations remain to be implemented. We call for accountability on all sides,” the High Commissioner said.


Before this demand for action from the UK Envoy, there have also been several condemnations from the international community over the continued detention of the Shiite leader, El-zakzaky, despite a court order that granted him bail.


Though the Federal Government has always  maintained that the Islamic cleric is being kept in custody for his own safety, his lawyers described the claim as a massive tissue of lie.


It would be recalled that a panel set up by Kaduna State government

announced that 347 persons were killed during the December 12, 2015, Shiite/army clash in Zaria.

The panel further revealed that the victims were given a secret mass burial in Mando area of the state, which was jointly supervised by the state government officials and about 40 men of the Nigerian army.