Rivers State Police Command Dismisses 3 Officers Over Murder Case

Three police officers of the Rivers State command accused of murder of some passengers of a commercial vehicle have been thrown out of the Force.

Inspector Sampson Oruene, one of the members of the investigating committee in the case which involved 8 police officers told a Port Harcourt High Court yesterday that these three officers were dismissed after investigations proved them guilty of the offense.

He said the five other officers allegedly involved in the matter were freed as there were no evidences that they committed the act.

The three officers, Sergeant Ali Bellow, Sergeant Clement Indyel and Auwalu Kwale are currently standing civil trial before Hon. Justice Georgewill of the state high court, Port Harcourt

Oruene who stood as witness for the Police Force told the court how the eight suspects arrested on 17th of January 2010 over the murder of passengers of a commercial bus were reduced to three after a thorough investigation and ballistic test on the firearms.

Inspector Oruene who dressed in mufti said: “The three officers standing trial today were my colleagues, that l would not deny. But I happened to be of the members of the panel that investigated the incident that led them to where they are today”.

His words: “When the incident took place on the 17th of January 2010, Felix Omorega retired, Inspector Patrick Emmanuel now in Akwa-Ibom State and I, were asked to investigate the matter. At the end we discovered four Ak47, two FNC riffles. We also discovered two corpses in the bus with registration number SW 428AAA with built marks on the body of the bus, two people were also injured and we collected their statements including the register that recorded the movement of arms….. Autopsy of the decease were also presented.

The witness also noted that all the evidences and findings including the riffles and suspects were taken to Lagos for further investigations and ballistic test.

“After they were subjected to investigation in Lagos, the police later freed the rest and dismissed the three that are standing trial today after they were found guilty of the offence and that was why we charged then to court”, he said.

After listening to the witness testimony and evidence to the court, Hon. Justice Georgewill adjourned the case to 25th of April 2013, for further hearings.

Reporter: Paul Obiajunwo, Port Harcourt