Chris Steven, Abuja
The lawmaker representing Oluyole Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives, Samson Olusunbo Olugbemi has described the rumour of his removal from the Green Chamber by the Supreme Court as wicked, malicious and a figment of the imagination of some unscrupulous politicians who seek to reap where they did not sow.
Reacting to the recent pronouncement of the Supreme Court on his 2015 electoral victory which generated some ripples within and outside his Oluyole Constituency, the federal lawmaker, in a statement he personally issued and made available to journalists in Ibadan, described the alleged misinterpretation of the court statement as a futile attempt by some disgruntled elements to mislead unsuspecting members of the public and thereby cause unnecessary tension in the polity.
“For the avoidance of doubt, what the Apex Court did last week was to clear the air on a pre-hearing matter which had to do with the jurisdiction of the High Court over the case instituted by the loser of the APC party primary held in build up to the March 28, 2015 election which I won convincingly.
The substantive suit is still in the pre-hearing stage at lower court. However, the facts remained that I emerged victorious at the keenly contested party primary prior to the general election and the facts supporting this are available for the world to see.
Inasmuch as I would not want to join the complainant in seeking self help through the media on a matter which is already before the court of law, it is imperative to set the record straight and correct the misinformation and malicious spread of unfounded rumour on the matter.
Members of the general public should be informed that I, Hon. Olusunbo Olugbemi, remain the holder of the sacred mandate of the good people of Oluyole Federal Constituency and I remain resolute in my determination to represent my constituent well at the Green Chamber regardless of the all odds.” Olugbemi stated.
Meanwhile, the All Progressives Congress, APC in Oyo State has cleared the air on the litigation emanating from the conduct of the party primary which produced its candidate for Oluyole Federal Constituency in the 2015 general election.
The party’s director of publicity and strategy, Olawale Sadare, told journalists through the telephone on Thursday that the process which produced Olugbemi as a candidate was free, fair and credible.
“We have our records and we have made it clear on several occasions that the primary election held for Oluyole Federal Constituency was one out of 14 held on same day using the same guidelines and in which due process was followed. We are anxiously waiting for the opportunity to appear before the court to lay bare our facts and figures in respect of the said litigation as we are confident that this would put paid to all the controversies relating to the mandate freely given Hon. Olugbemi.” APC said.