‘I Would Rather My Daughter Was Dead Than Captive’ – Mother Of Kidnapped Dapchi Schoolgirl

‘I Would Rather My Daughter Was Dead Than Captive’ – Mother Of Kidnapped Dapchi Schoolgirl

Another parent of missing student goes into hiding


By Tunde Osho (with agency reports)

Harira Malam Halilu has not stopped crying since her daughter disappeared on Monday night, during militant Islamist group Boko Haram’s raid on a boarding school in north-eastern Nigeria.

Her daughter, Sahura Jibrin Mohammed, was studying sciences at the school in Dapchi town when the militants appeared.

The 17-year-old, along with dozens of others, has not been seen since.

For Ms Halilu, the wait for news is unbearable. She fears for her daughter, who dreamed of becoming a nurse, with the memories of the abduction of 276 girls from Chibok town almost four years ago playing on her mind: “If I remember how we see the images of previously abducted Chibok girls, I keep on crying; my tears continue flowing ceaselessly. I would rather see her dead body brought to me so that we give her a befitting burial, than for her to be under the captivity of Boko Haram members.”

It is more than just the fear of a mass abduction which has parents debating whether or not Nigeria is seeing history repeat itself.

The authorities have insisted in previous statements the girls are simply hiding in the bush after fleeing the attack in Dapchi.

Ms Halilu does not believe this version of events. However, she is not ready to give up hope just yet.

“It will not be surprising to if she returns as with Allah all things are possible. But from experience, if such things happen it goes like a play. Because as of now, authorities have not admitted that they have been abducted.”

Parent of missing Nigerian schoolgirl ‘in hiding’

Stephanie Hegarty

Meanwhile, A parent of one of the girls missing since the attack and kidnap at a school in Yobe state has told the BBC that he is in hiding after police issued an order for his arrest.

The order came after a convoy belonging to the state governor was pelted with stones after he told parents following the army had not found any of the missing girls – backtracking on earlier assurances.

The man, who didn’t want to be identified, said one parent has already been arrested. Police have yet to respond to requests for confirmation of the arrest order.

The man told the BBC he had run from his home and was hiding in the bush after he heard of the arrest warrant against him.

He fears it may actually be an attempt by the authorities to stop him talking to the media.

His daughter has been missing since Monday, when Boko Haram stormed their town and reportedly abducted children from the girl’s secondary school.

Authorities failed to acknowledge the kidnapping until Wednesday night, when they claimed some girls had been rescued.

Addressing parents in Dapchi village on Thursday the governor retracted that claim. Angry parents then pelted his convoy with stones.

This torrent of misinformation on the part of authorities mirrors the aftermath of the kidnapping of the Chibok girls in 2014, 100 of whom are still missing four years later.