The Police on Monday confirmed that 71 persons had died and 124 others were injured in the early morning bomb blast in Nyanya, a suburb of Abuja.
CSP Frank Mba, the Force Public Relations Officer, who spoke on behalf of security services involved in the rescue operation, confirmed the figure to newsmen at the scene of the blast.
Mba said that those injured were receiving treatment in hospitals within Nyanya and other parts of the Federal Capital Territory.
“As I earlier told you, 16 luxurious buses were torched and 24 vehicles of assorted make were equally damaged.
“In order to help families of the bereaved, the security agencies are working in collaboration with hospitals.
“We are equally encouraging most of the hospitals to establish information centres.
Mba explained that the rescue operation was jointly carried out with all security agencies and other stakeholders, including the National Emergency Agency, State Security Service, Civil Defence Corps and the Military.“That will help relatives, friends to be able to get relevant information on where the dead bodies had been deposited or where the injured persons are currently receiving treatment,” he said.
“We will all continue to coordinate our operations, coordinate our investigation for the safety of all Nigerians.
“We will keep you posted as we continue our investigations,” Mba said.