Paul Obiajunwo, Port Harcourt
Two persons were feared dead and property worth thousands of naira destroyed, yesterday, following a fire incident that engulfed shanties at Road One, Orazi, Mile 4, Port Harcourt, in Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers State.
Some relatives of victims of the fire incident said that the fire started from a Kerosene stove, when the victims tried to refill the cooking stove.
Meanwhile, some eyewitness of the incident said the fire fighters and police did not respond to the calls during the kerosene explosion.
According to Emmanuel Udom, the number of casualties would have increased if not the grace of God, adding that the occupants were helpless and confused on what to do during the fire outbreak.
He appealed to the State Governor, Nyesom Wike, to come to their aide, lamenting that they lost their properties in the inferno.
Details of the deceased could not be ascertained at the time of filing the report.