Leadership of Nigerian Labour Congress ( NLC) has condemned the suicide bomb attacks that rocked two suburb of Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyanya and Kuje on Friday night saying such attacks were not only condemnable but a call for communal vigilance by all residents.
NLC President, Comrade Ayuba Wabba who conveyed the position of the union on the attacks in a press statement issued in Abuja on Sunday noted that the latest attacks should not weaken the morale of the forces involved in the battle against terrorism in the country but should reinvigorate their fighting spirits.
He particularly said that such attacks must be seen by government as a challenge to “arm our forces with more sophisticated and superior weapons both for intelligence gathering and combat”.
The NLC President further urged government to order the immediate reinvestigation, arrest and prosecution of all those previously indicted of sponsoring terror gangs, especially Boko Haram and other such violent groups in any part of the country.
He noted that the freedom of those who sponsor deadly violence put the entire country seated on timed bombs that can explode at will saying “no matter how highly placed, whoever has been indicted should immediately be apprehended and reinvestigated now”.
“The multiple bombings unleashed on innocent residents of Nigeria’s Federal Capital Territory towns of Kuje and Nyanya last night obviously by decimated terrorists is not only condemnable but a call for communal vigilance by all residents as it has become obvious that since the massive pounding of the sanctuaries of the terrorists, fragments of the terror cliques may have organised smaller cells in communities hitherto thought not to be vulnerable.
These latest attacks are particularly dangerous as they were carried out at night and in locations where late purchases are made. One of the locations, Kuje is on the route to our major international airport. The attacks may have been a devious façade to rubbish the victories of our national army and other security agencies in the battle to rid our country of terrorism and all its residues before the global community. They want the world to believe our country is not safe.
Our security agencies should not limit their intelligence or investigation to Boko Haram as there have also been recent reports that some militant groups in the Niger Delta region planned to resume violent attacks against Nigerians and the Nigerian State as a corporate entity.
We urge all Nigerians to see the battle against terrorism as our collective battle and therefore every resident must make information about suspicious movements or behaviours in and around them available to relevant security agencies who must act on such information in our collective national interests.
We condole with the families of all the victims of these attacks and urge government to ensure provision of the best medical attention and treatment to the injured.” He said