Murder Case Of Ex-Militant Leader: Family Demands Immediate Release Of Suspect

Murder Case Of Ex-Militant Leader: Family Demands Immediate Release Of Suspect

As police parade suspects who owned up to crime

Paul Obiajunwo, Port Harcourt

The family and relatives of Mr. Doubra Ogbe, a suspect who is presently standing trial over alleged murder of ex-militant leader, late Mr. Soboma George has called on the presiding judge on the matter to declare their son innocent.

Elder ThankGod Ogbe, the father of the suspect who spoke with The Nation yesterday in Port Harcourt, the state capital, said the confession by the suspects paraded by Rivers State police Command who owned up to the crime is an attestation of not guilty plea his son pleaded before the trial judge.

The Rivers State Police Command at the weekend paraded another suspected killer of ex-militant Leader, Late Soboma Goerge, who was murdered in a football field in Borikiri area of Port Harcourt in 2009.

The suspect, Anthony Pepple, a.k.a. Urban Gorilla, who was paraded alongside another notorious criminal, Shakeed Adekunle, a.k.a. Black Devil, was arrested by the IGP’s Intelligence Response Team on April 17, this year.

It would be noted that the trio of Doubra Ogbe, Emmanuel Gladstone and Pere Matthew, have been standing trial for the murder of George, since 2010, and the matter is expected to resume tomorrow (today), April 25, 2017 before Justice George Omereji in the Port Harcourt High Court.

At the presence the Deputy Inspector General of Police at the Police Headquarters, Moscow Road, the state Commissioner of Police, CP Zaki Mohammed Ahmed, told Journalists that Pepple, on interrogation, confessed to have masterminded the killing of the late ex-militant Leader

He said: “Urban Gorilla and Black Devil had been in our kidnapped wanted list and open to arrest. Anthony Pepple, a.k.a. Urban Gorilla has confessed to have masterminded the cold blood murder of one Soboma George, a militant commander sometime in 2009. He also confessed to being the leader of a kidnap syndicate.”

But the suspect’s father Mr. Thank God Ogbe whose son is been detained at Ikot Ekpene Prison, in Akwa-Ibom state said his son had suffered so much for a crime he did not commit.

He called on Federal and state governments to intervene and ensure that his son did not return back to prison as they bring him to the court during tomorrow (today) hearing.

He said: “I’m here to plead with both state and Federal government, including the security agents to assist my son gets out of the prison. He is innocent, right from the day he was arrest he had been telling the court and the police that he is innocent.

“You cannot hold or detain a man in a crime another person committed, please Nigerian help my son, he is innocent. I don’t have money to make case; he has been in detention since 2010, God has been my strength, if not, I would have been a death person.”