JTF, Boko Haram gunfight claims 50 lives

JTF, Boko Haram gunfight claims 50 lives

The raging fight between the Joint Task Force and suspected members of extremist Boko Haram sect has claimed over 50 of the group’s followers in Maiduguri, Borno State.
Reports said the fight, which raged from Tuesday night to Wednesday morning, followed a failed attack on JTF soldiers by Boko Haram gunmen.
This led to a clampdown on parts of the city, where Boko Haram is suspected to have bases.
These include Railway Quarters, West End, Custom and Shehuri areas.
The gunfight forced many residents of these areas to flee the city, as the JTF has vowed to dislodge Boko Haram from Maiduguri.
Confirming the onslaught on the militants, JTF spokesman, Col. Victor Ebhaleme, said, “Some suspected Boko Haram terrorists attempted to open fire on (security) operatives but could not succeed.
“We have so far shot dead 16 of the terrorists during a shootout.”