ICPC Moves To Clamp Down On More Perm Secs Over N292m Discovered Loot

ICPC Moves To Clamp Down On More Perm Secs Over N292m Discovered Loot

Patrick Aigbokhan
Following recent discovery of N292m that was traced to the account of one of the permanent secretaries that were retired on Tuesday, plans are already underway by the Independent Corrupt Practices and other Related Offences Commission, ICPC, to bring to book more Permanent Secretaries of other ministries, who have also been involved in the looting of government treasuries since the five months the permanent secretaries presided over ministries in the absence of ministers.
The move is in furtherance of more investigation embarked upon by the ICPC upon discovery of the N292m loot traced to the account of one of the retired permanent secretaries.
The ICPC reportedly made the discovery during the discreet investigations into the five months the permanent secretaries presided over ministries in the absence of ministers.
The commission commenced probe into the permanent secretaries’ reign shortly after President Muhammadu Buhari submitted the ministerial list to the Senate.
However, it was gathered, three more permanent secretaries might also face trial for alleged corruption.
An earlier report had shown that five former permanent secretaries would face trial for alleged corruption.
According to source, the ICPC’s investigations were not limited to permanent secretaries that were compulsorily retired on Tuesday but also those who served in the past five months and still in service.
It was gathered, the ICPC might invite some of the permanent secretaries for interrogation upon the completion of its investigation next week.
A reliable source in the ICPC reportedly said, “It is true that the ICPC is probing the activities of the permanent secretaries. About N292m was traced to the account of one of the recently retired permanent secretaries.
“The commission has concluded investigating some of the permanent secretaries while others are still being investigated. For those that we have concluded investigations on them, we have sent their files to relevant places for action.
“It is not exactly true that those who were not sacked by the President in the recent exercise are innocent. They are also being investigated.”
Information available to our correspondent also revealed that the ICPC had been investigating some directors and that the Federal Government had directed anti-graft agencies to place emphasis on recovery of funds from corrupt former public officers.
A source from the Presidency source also reportedly stated that the focus of the government is changing, following the President’s deep interest in recouping the stolen money, no matter how long the process may take.
It was revealed that the anti-graft agency has deployed the strategy of going for very strong facts that cannot be denied, confront the people with the evidence and ask them to return the funds if they don’t want to go to jail.
Many of those found culpable are said to be cooperating as they are already returning money.
Efforts to get Mr. Folu Olamiti, Resident Consultant, Media and Event, of the ICPC, on further clarifications, however proved abortive, as his mobile phone line was switched off when a call was put to him.
As a way of reiterating his commitment to the fight against corruption in the country, Buhari on Thursday warned civil servants at all levels that his administration would not condone any act of indiscipline and corrupt practices.