… Children in critical condition
Paul Obiajunwo, Port Harcourt
A single mother of two children, simply identified as Tubosoye Lawson, met her untimely death , from a generator smoke in Buguma town, in Asari-Toru Local Government Area of Rivers State.
Her two underaged children, who are boys, were said to be in a critical condition in an undisclosed hospital in the community.
The post gathered that the deceased and her two sons, had gone to bed in the night leaving their generator set on till dawn, in their apartment.
A source, who gave his name as Ipalibo Briggs, said the woman forgot to switch off the generator before going to bed with her children, adding that it was pathetic and avoidable.
Briggs disclosed that the tragic incident in the morning, after observing that none of the occupants of the apartment, had awakened from sleep.
He said: “We were worried after observing in the morning that none of the occupants of the house has awakened from sleeping. There was no sign that somebody slept in the house at night. But, neighbours were sure that the occupants slept in the apartment because their generator was on throughout the night.
“So, the neighbours, out of worry, broke the door and found the occupants lying down lifelessly. The boys were breathing slowly, but their mother was not breathing. The children were rushed to a nearby hospital.
“ Their apartment was filled with smoke, that is why we believe they were suffocated by smoke from the generator. It was a sad development”, Briggs expressed.
Another source, who gave her name as Opuene, said a teenage boy, had a day to the incident, advised Tubosoye to pray against untimely death in her family, which was ignored.