Fire outbreak in LAPO office causes stampede

Fire outbreak in LAPO office causes stampede

BY ISAAC OLAMIKAN
Tragedy was yesterday morning averted at the Benin main office of the Lift Above Poverty Organization (LAPO) when a faulty air conditioner attached to the organization’s elevator caught fire.
The development caused panic among staff and customers especially those who were inside the lift. Some of the victims  scampered for safety.
But some others including an unidentified National Youth Service Corpse (NYSC) member were trapped in the faulty elevator for about 30 minutes before they were rescued.
Those who managed to flee, said the experience was like hell because of the failure of the fire safety notice in the Organization.
The Corp member sustained a minor injury in her upper lip and had bruises during the inferno which raged around her.
For recording the inferno, a cameraman who works with the Edo Broadcasting Service (EBS) was brutalized by overzealous policemen attached to the organisation.
However, in her response, Mrs. Sabina Idowu Osehobor, Executive Director of LAPO, allayed fears that the fire incident caused some damages or affected activities in the company.
Mrs. Osehobo said that the fire, which was a minor accident was put out promptly.
“The fire has been put out. It was the air conditioning unit in the lift that caught fire. There was prompt response both internally and externally. There is no casualty.
“We at LAPO will like to express our appreciation to the members of the public which is a mark of the high esteem that the public has for us.
“Of course, we appreciate the very swift response ‎and the safety measure that was put in place to ensure that the situation was brought under control.
“There should be no panic whatsoever. Everything is intact. There is no cause for alarm. We continue our business as usual,”she emphasised..