FIFA has snubbed a government delegation from Nigeria seeking talks to overturn a ban slapped on the country with the governing body insisting it will only deal Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) executives who were booted out last week.
FIFA maintains that it will refrain from any contact with any persons outside the elected Aminu Maigari-led executive committee and as such will not receive the country’s delegation in Brazil to resolve the vexed issue.
The delegation led by former CAF and FIFA executive committee member Amos Adamu, several top sports ministry officials, three board members of the illegal NFF board and some FA chairmen travelled to Brazil on Tuesday to meet FIFA top executives who are all in South America for the World Cup.
But the country was banned from international football on Wednesday and FIFA refused to meet the men on the crisis that is engulfing football in Africa’s most populous nation.
”FIFA will now refrain from communicating with any other parties than the duly elected NFF officials which are the NFF President Aminu Maigari and the NFF General Secretary Musa Amadu,” FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke read.
“Going by this letter, the delegation are only in Brazil on holidays and possibly to watch the final of the World Cup between Argentina and Germany at tax payers’ expense,” an official told AfricanFootball.com
FIFA further said in the letter that decisions taken at the extraordinary congress staged on Saturday, July 5, are null and void.
The government delegation are in Brazil “to give a true picture” of what is happening in Nigerian football.
They argued that it was not Katken who convened the general assembly, but Effiong Johnson, who is on the board of the NFF.
However, the statutes of the NFF, which have been duly endorsed by FIFA, stipulates that only the NFF president has the power to call a congress and where he fails, two-third of the congress will notify the president of the need for such a congress and if he fails to do so within 60 days, they have a right to then do so.
FIFA have demanded that the elected NFF and all their machinery be reinstated before July 15 or a replacement team for the country’s U20 female team will be named for the FIFA U20 World Cup, which kicks off in Canada on August 3.