The over 200 girls kidnapped from Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, in Borno state by insurgent group Boko Haram have not been killed after all, President Goodluck Jonathan has said.
The President who disclosed this in an interview in Abuja on Thursday argued that if the schoolgirls had been killed, the Boko Haram leader, Shekau, would have released a video showing how they the girls were murdered.
Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau’s had in a video in October 2014 stated that he had married off the girls. In an earlier statement, Shekau had threatened to sell the girls as slave brides.
The Chibok schoolgirls have spent over 300 days in the insurgents camp since their abducted in April 14 2014 as they prepared to write their Senior Secondary School Examination.
Jonathan also said that security forces are wary of storming Sambisa forest regarded as the main stronghold of the terrorists for fear the insurgents might use the girls as human shields.
He said, “Because they may use them as shields so we are working with the global best practices. We can’t just move in with artillery and clear the place. The good story is that they’ve not been killed. They are still alive because when terrorists kill they display.”