Chris Steven, Abuja
President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the membership of a Federal
Government team to renegotiate the 2009 agreement with leaders of Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) with a view to engendering sustainable peace and industrial harmony in tertiary institutions.
The 16-member team is chaired by Dr. Wale Babalakin, a Senior Advocate
of Nigeria (SAN).
Babalakin, who was adjudged the best pro-chancellor at the time of the negotiation in 2009, was also the head of the Federal Government implementation committee then.
Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu who announced this on Friday said that the re-negotiation team would dialogue with ASUU, Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU), National Association of Academic Technologists (NAAT) and Non Academic Staff Union of Associated & Allied Institutions (NASU).
This followed a warning strike by ASUU last year November asking Federal Government to meet the agreement it signed with lecturers in November 2013.
This was as President Buhari also approved the reconstitution of the governing councils of University of Port Harcourt and Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, which were dissolved in the recent crises that engulfed the two institutions.
The new governing councils would serve for a term of four years, in the first
instance, effective from December 28, 2016.
The government team comprises the following:
1. Dr. Wale Babalakin, SAN; (Chairman)
2. Prof. M.M. Jibril, Pro-Chancellor, Federal University, Lafia;
3. Prof. Nimi Briggs, Pro-Chancellor, Federal University, Lokoja;
4. Senator GbemisolaSaraki, Pro-Chancellor, Federal University, Otuoke;
5. Arc. Lawrence Ngbale, Pro-Chancellor, Federal University, Birnin Kebbi;
6. Prince Alex Mbata, Pro-Chancellor, Imo State University, Owerri;
7. Prof. OlufemiBamiro, Pro-Chancellor, Tai Solarin University
8. Representatives, Federal Ministry of Education;
9. Representative, Federal Ministry of Labour & Employment;
10 Representative, Federal Ministry of Finance;
11. Representative, Federal Ministry of Justice;
12. Representative, Federal Ministry of Budget & National Planning;
13. Representative of the National Salaries, Incomes & Wages
14. Representative of the Office of the Secretary to the
Government of theFederation (OSGF)