Borno Killing: Eight Suspected Terrorists Arrested

DHQ3

Eight suspected terrorists been apprehended in the outskirts of Maiduguri, the Defence Headquarters said on Wednesday.

A statement issued by Brig.-Gen. Chris Olukolade, the Director of Defence Information in Abuja said the arrested suspects were involved in the Borno mayhem during the weekend.

According to the statement, Special Forces have stepped up the mop-up, cordon and search operations “to ensure that the vestiges of terrorism are effectively decimated.

Wednesday’s statement read in part: “The DHQ has noted a number of attacks and killing of innocent citizens ostensibly carried out by terrorists in Yobe and Borno in the last couple of days.

“Although this isolated incidents were undertaken by relocating terrorists, the whole trend and development remains unfortunate and condemnable.

“Nevertheless, the public is hereby reassured that these incidences are by no means indicative of a relapse in the counter-insurgency operation aimed at curbing terrorists’ activities in the country.”

The DHQ said the trend of sneaking in to carry out isolated attacks on soft targets, as a way of seeking attention is a typical end-game strategy often employed by insurgents all over the world.

It said recent activities of the suspected terrorists suggest desperation of a decimated insurgent group attempting to hang on to public consciousness.

With the destruction of their operational bases and camps by the Special Forces, the group had been effectively dislocated and severely limited in their ability to operate as they did previously.

The DHQ, however, urged the public to continue to report any suspicious movement to security agents