Chris Steven, Abuja
The United Nations (UN) has disclosed that humanitarian response in the north east of Nigeria this year require as much as $1.05 billion (nearly N378 billion).
This was disclosed by Edward Kallon, UN Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeriaduring the latest appeal launched in Abuja on Thursday.
According to him, the 2018 Humanitarian Response Plan hopes to reach some 6.1 million people in need of assistance in the worst-affected states of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe.
“These are people who have been displaced and are living in camps or host communities, people who have returned home to nothing, and people living in other areas that are hard to reach for humanitarians.”
The estimate of people in need of assistance is as much as 7.7 million, leaving some 1.6 million people out of the plan.
The plan, according to the report will support 2.7 million vulnerable women, children and men with protection services; provide medical care to 5.1 million people; provide nutritional supplements for 2.7 million children and pregnant and nursing women.
It also includes safe drinking water and sanitation facilities for 2.7milllion people; shelter and basic household items to 1.3 million persons living in camps or host communities.
“About 2.2 million children and teachers will be supported through education assistance, including through the provision of safe spaces for learning, school supplies and teacher trainings,” said Kallon.
“Finally, for longer-term impact, 2.7 million people will be supported in accessing basic public services and restarting theirSa lives.”
As much as 173 projects will be ongoing throughout 2018, building on progress from last year.
The response plan called for $1b last year, and 70% of the funding was sent in by donors, making it one of the best funded appeals globally.
A total $945 million in both response and non-response intervention was donated last year.
“While we are aware that other large-scale crises also require donor attention, it is essential to continue this positive momentum and build on the results we achieved last year.
“Should we fail to meet our targets, it could undermine the progress made to date and ultimately impact our ability to save lives.”
Also speaking, Abdou Dieng, Regional Director of World Food Programme (WFP), said the agency spent a total of $126 million in providing 200,000 metric tonnes of food in 2017.
He noted that 75 percent of the food WFP provides are procured in Nigeria and as many as 75 percent of WFP in-country staff are Nigerians
He also said that in 2018, WFP requires a total of $227.4 million for humanitarian services in the areas of food security, nutrition, logistics, and emergency telecommunication among others.
While commending their efforts, the chief host, Minister of State for National Planning, Zainab Ahmed, reiterated the FGs commitment in providing the enabling environment for its citizens across the country.
She thanked the humanitarian agencies for demonstrating “Strong commitment” in the north-east and other crisis-affected states in the country.
“2018 will be a year we will be concentrating on supporting the internally displaced persons (IDPs) to return to their original communities,” she added