Boko Haram Abducts 60 In Deadly Cameroon Attack

Boko haram abidjan

Reports say Nigerian Boko Haram militants on Sunday kidnapped at least 60 people in a cross-border attack on villages in northern Cameroon in which some people were killed.

The attack has since been confirmed by government spokesman Issa Tchiroma, who added that three people were killed and about 80 homes were destroyed.

Those abducted are said to be mostly women and children.

The kidnappings, among the largest abductions on Cameroonian soil since the militants began expanding their zone of operations across the border last year, came as neighbouring Chad deployed troops to support Cameroon’s forces in the area.

“According to our initial information, around 30 adults, most of them herders, and 50 young girls and boys aged between 10 and 15 years were abducted,” a senior army officer said.

According to the Army, the early-morning attack targeted the village of Mabass and several other villages along the porous border with Nigeria.

Militant Islamists group, Boko Haram (which means western education is bad) have been waging a campaign of violence against the Nigerian government in its bid to establish an Islamic caliphate in the Northeast of Nigeria.