Thirteen suspected terrorists had been killed during a raid on their make-shift camp between Borno and Adamawa States, the Defence Headquarters (DHQ) said on Friday.
A statement issued in Abuja and signed by Maj-.Gen. Chris Olukolade, the Director of Defence Information, said some of the terrorists who escaped from earlier raid had also been picked up in Maiduguri and environs.
Friday’s statement read in part: “More terrorists have been arrested while 13 of them died following a raid on their make-shift camp sited between Borno and Adamawa states.
“Some of those who escaped from earlier raid have also been picked up in Maiduguri and environs.
“Meanwhile, calm has returned to Shuwa after the pandemonium generated by the panic in the community this morning,” the statement said.
The new offensive against the Islamist terrorist group, Boko Haram, is coming days after the group attaked a secondary school in Yobe and killed 29 schoolchildren.
The statement said that when people sighted the convoy of troops going after terrorists, they mistook it for another round of attack, adding that the confusion also led to the claim that the Governor of Adamawa State, Murtala Nyako, who had visited the community, was attacked by terrorists.
The statement added that the military authorities had refuted the claim, adding: “The troops were on assignment to block a discovered entry and exit point of terrorists into the country through the state.
“The community has been assured of their safety as normalcy has returned,” it said.